Saturday, March 31, 2007

Reflections on Math

We've been talking about math programs over at JustMommies lately, specifically Math U See, which is the program that we started using about two months ago. I know I've waxed poetic about this program before, but I really can't say enough about it.

So, I decided that I'd post one of my quotes from the thread. Because, hey, if you're gonna quote someone, why not quote yourself? (ha ha ha!)

"As for it being fun, I would say it is. Is it "fun" in that they give you 50 different ideas of how to learn your +8 math facts and your child comes away from their math lesson feeling like they've been at the circus? No. But I told my husband today that it just feels like it's not work at all. We watch the lesson on the DVD and we use the blocks and we do problems for 15 or 20 minutes a day and - BOOM! Two weeks later I can ask Reilly "What's 8+5?" and she says "13!" And I feel like I didn't have to do anything. And I NEVER thought that teaching math would feel that way for me, so it's like heaven."

I'm amazed, constantly amazed at the strides Reilly has made with math since we started MUS. I know that there are many parts of Alpha that we will skip because this level teaches shapes and telling time, which she knows, so I imagine we'll move onto the next level pretty quickly. But I'm just excited that she's understanding it and enjoying it.

As for Declan, here's a story about him. We were sitting on my bed this morning and I had Troy's computer on my lap. Declan looked over my shoulder and started saying, "Look! There's a K! There's a T! There's a U!" I realized that he knows every letter. He learned them all in a week. He's like a little sponge, and it all started with his Kumon mazes book!

No comments: