Monday, January 29, 2007

We Gave Up On Mary Poppins

Well, I've been reading Mary Poppins to The Kids at lunch lately, but we decided to give it up. Mary Poppins in the book was nowhere near as pleasant as Mary Poppins in the movie! She was quite conceited and rude and short with the children in the book, not to mention the fact that the book was quite wordy and a little boring. Makes me wonder how they came up with the screenplay for the movie, which is one of our new favorites since The Kids got it for Christmas.

We kind of petered out with school at the end of last week. Women's Bible study started on Thursday and while I had every good intention of having school when we got home, we ended up going out and having lunch with Troy after we got done. Reilly and Declan were SO excited to get to have lunch with their Papa! Then on Friday morning, I woke up with a hankerin' for some Krispy Kreme donuts, which was only magnified by the "Buy a Dozen, get a Dozen Glazed Free" coupon that was burning a hole in my wallet, so we got dressed and headed for Krispy Kreme. I swear, I used to think "Good grief, a donut's a donut!" and then I had a fresh, hot KK donut and was immediately converted to the ranks of People Who Wax Poetic About Krispy Kreme Donuts! Mmmmm, makes my mouth water just thinking about it! So we went to the donut store, then to Mardel where I got three new schoolbooks - a map activities book (map reading and using a map), a "word families" workbook, and a language arts book with cut and paste activities in it like, "Cut out the nouns and glue them in the person, place, or thing columns". Reilly loves that sort of thing!
But on Friday we didn't do ANY of the new activities because we decided that Troy needed a donut since he didn't get to go to KK with us. So we drove out to the area of his route with the idea that we would surprise him at one of his stops. I ended up having to call him and find out where he was because we drove around for about half an hour, looking for him. Four square miles didn't seem quite so big when I hatched the plan!
Today we did our second set of lessons in Math U See which is our new math curriculum. Reilly seems to really be picking it up fast and enjoying the lessons. It's got so much use of manipulatives that it doesn't surprise me a bit that she likes doing it. My only problem is getting her to stop playing with the blocks!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I think this week for me will be like your last week. I felt sick all morning, so we didn't get a lot done. Also, I have been asked to teach the children's choir sign for all of the new songs, so I had to get a couple of songs ready for Wed. night. It looks like there are a lot of little things that will threaten our school week. Oh well, flexibility is the key, right!?!
I hope you have a great Tuesday!