Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th, 2006

This morning we began school with prayers, just as we always do, and I said a prayer for the families who were remembering their loved ones lost on this date, 5 years ago. When we were done, Bear asked me if this was a "special" day, and it lead into a very great discussion of the events of Septeber 11th, 2001. I got out a book that we have that is published by LIFE and which is called One Nation: America Remembers September 11th, 2001 and showed her some pictures of what the towers looked like before the attacks and we talked about what happened and where I was when everything began. It's hard to try and explain the concept of true evil to a 6-year-old, but I think that I did a good job of helping her to understand, on her level, this bit of history. When she was looking at the pictures in the book of the planes hitting the towers, she said, "That was a dumb, dumb thing to do." and I just agreed with her. It was a dumb, dumb thing to do. Later on, when we were at lunch with my mom, Deco said the prayer over lunch and Bear asked if she could add something. She then went on to lift up prayers of her own on behalf of the victims and their families, which was quite touching and heartwarming.

No comments: