- Reilly has written a story for the Reading Rainbow Young Writers and Illustrators Contest. At one point, she said"This is harder than I thought it would be!" She actually wrote down the first half of the story herself, but then I let her dictate the last half; she seemed to be getting bogged down in trying to spell everything just right and make sure her words were spaced just so and I figured that the most important thing at this stage of the game was just to get the story on paper. She'll have to rewrite it anyway when she puts it in book form with the illustrations. I'm so proud of what she wrote, not really because it's a fantastic story or anything, but just because the story is hers. I gave a small amount of guidance so that she was able to stay within the 300 word limit, but that was pretty much my entire contribution. I'll make sure to post pictures when she's done with the whole thing.
- The week before last, we went on a field trip with our homeschooling co-op to a farm and home store. It was fun, but not quite what I thought it was going to be when we signed up, because I sort of read the sign up sheet wrong. I thought we were going to Ockmeyer's FARM, somehow missing the "and Home Store" part of the sentence. So imagine my surprise when I realized that it was...a store. "Oh well!" I thought to myself. "It will probably be a really big store and we'll learn all sorts of things about what is needed to run a farm!" Ummmm....no. It was about the size of an average Ace hardware store. And the lady running the tour talked about animal feed. I mean, she was really nice and all, and it was a fun day because we rode up there with the Sheppard family, but it wasn't the huge, educational experience I thought it would be. Oh well. You can't win 'em all!
- We were off for an entire week last week because Reilly was sick with some sort of mild flu that left her just lying on the sofa with a fever for seven days. OK, well, she was actually only lying on the sofa for 6 days because I actually thought she was better on Thursday and we went to the RFHG Valentine's Day party...and she came home with a 101.5 fever! Oops! So she was back to the sofa for Friday and Saturday and was finally fever-free on Sunday. Poor girl!
- On Monday, for review, we did addition flash cards. She was able to do all the addition problems, from 1's to 9's, in 9 minutes! I am so proud of her!
- On Tuesday, we had school at Hibdon Tire because one of our tire's was leaking and I needed to get it fixed. Aaaah, the flexibiliy of homeschooling! I love it!
- Yesterday we had a Teamwork and Home Economics Day. What this means is we worked together to clean the house because if I had to look at the dust and clutter any longer, I was going to go crazy! And that would have not been productive at all. We dusted, vaccumed, sorted, de-cluttered, and folded clothes. The only thing that Reilly didn't get to do was Swiffer the kitchen floor, so I may see if she wants to do that today. It was a good day, and I feel much less stressed out now.
So, there you have it!