Friday, April 07, 2006

The Easter Basket Game


This game is a new take on an old favorite. At Thanksgiving time I made a game for school that involved "feeding" a pilgrim and an Indian card-stock food. Bear always found it a lot of fun, so I decided to make a new one, this time with an Easter theme. She picks either a sight word or a "letter blend" card from my hand, and then if she can read the word or blend, she gets to put an egg into the basket!
I came up with a clever way for her to remember "ought". I covered up the first and last letters and said, "You can say 'UGH, why not get rid of those extra letters so it can just say 'ot' '?" I've realized as I've taught her to read that there are SO MANY weird things in the English language! And as soon as I tell her a "rule" we run across the exception!!!! AAHRG!!

No comments: