Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Monday, January 30th


Today we played one of Bear's favorite "school games" which I call "Feed the Pilgrim and Indian". On little cards, I have all of the letters and diagraphs, as well as the "sight family" blends that we've worked on so far. She pulls one out of a paper bag and if she can say the sound of the letter or blend, she gets to "feed" the Pilgrim or Indian a "piece" of pumpkin, bread, or venison. (I made this game back at Thanksgiving, when we were learning about the first Thanksgiving and what they ate and things like that.) I've always intended to update the game or make a "generic" one, but I've never gotten around to it! I got the idea for this game from a book that I was using to teach reading and she really loves playing it! I've got to figure out a way to use it for OTHER learning things!

We're plugging on in Horizons math and beginning to cover some things that we haven't really gone over much yet. Today, part of the lesson talked about pennies and what the "cent" sign looks like, and some simple graphing (color the squares to match the number). She did miss a couple of problems, not because she didn't know the answer, but because she wasn't paying attention. I guided her in correcting the mistakes, but this was the first time I put a "-2" at the top of her page and not just a star! :(

No comments: